Q: Car putting and will not accelerate

Was driving fine yesterday! Started car this evening check engine lite started blinking. Became afraid and just ride it in the neighborhood and it was putting and acted like it wanted stall out. When driving it seemed like it did not want to accelerate! I am not sure but I thought I smelled something stinky. Would appreciate any answers please before I get robbed at the mechanics...

This may be a sign of a clogged catalytic converter. The catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When this is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly. When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your catalytic converter.