Q: What sort of maintenance do I need to perform on the battery?

What sort of maintenance do I need to perform on the battery?

Your battery is a critical component – it provides the electric jolt necessary to turn the starter and get your engine running. While it’s designed to last for a long time without much maintenance, there are a few steps you should follow to ensure it lasts as long as possible:

• Check the condition of your battery monthly.

• If you see corrosion on the terminal posts, follow these steps:

• Mix baking soda and water together to form a paste
    • Apply to the battery terminals and cable ends
    • Allow it to bubble up (it’ll turn brown)
    • Wash it away with clean water
    • Apply terminal grease to protect against new corrosion forming

Tip

Wash your hands after working with the battery, as it contains lead.

3. What sort of maintenance do I need to perform on the battery?