Q: over the last 2 months I started hearing this knocking noise that has gotten louder and my steering wheel kinda shakes.

asked by on February 28, 2017

I started hearing a slight knocking noise while driving about 2 months ago. Its very loud now and my steering wheel kinda shakes. When im going about 35 to 40 mph I can really hear it and see my steering wheel shake. I speed up and I can still kinda hear it ,but not as much when im driving slow and when i take my foot of gas pedal and just roll at about 30 to 45 mph i can hear it. I took it to a real car shop and they checked it out and said its my driver front axle and charged me 300 to fix it. I drove it off the lot and at first i didnt hear it but eventually it started again!! I took my car back to the shop 7 days later and they said ."oh we are sorry and its the part we put on it blah blah blah we will order another one and put it on and it should fix the problem. So i sat for 3 hours and when they were done they said "well the sound is not as loud and we put the new part on and tighten it up more ..oh yeah and you need 2 new front tires and your struts are bad " (all of a sudden)

A real shop would perform a 75 point inspection while the car is in their care. If they see that you need tires and struts on the second approach, then they are not a real shop. The noise that you are hearing is not the CV Shaft but rather the wheel bearings or a loose suspension part. A continuous knocking noise that is heard and gets faster as you drive would be a wheel bearing with a flat spot. If the noise just gets louder and not faster would be a non rotating item that could be loose on your suspension or steering. The shaking of the steering wheel could be caused by the tires if they are cupped. If the tire tread is cupped, then the shock absorbers are not working. Then the shocks and tires need replaced.

I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your vehicle shaking issue if you cannot find the source.