Q: Car stalled jump started it then loud grinding noise started about 5 mins into my drive

asked by on December 13, 2017

My car stalled i got it jumped and 5 mins into my drive on the highway a loud grinding and ticking noise started from my engine towed the car home it still starts but theres a loud ticking noise at idle and acceleration

Change Oil and Filter $92.43 - $157.60 Get a Quote

What you are describing sounds like the noise associated with maladjusted valves which are a part of the valve train. In the mornings or when the engine is cold, the oil has had the chance, due to gravity to drain out of the valve train area back down into the oil pan. When you start the engine when it is cold, this can produce a ticking sound as you describe. This happens as the valves and rocker arms are moving without oil initially. As the engine warms up and oil circulates back up to the top of the motor where the lifters are and they begin to pump up full of oil, the ticking sound should become lighter and eventually go away. I would recommend getting a fresh oil change which should help clear this up. Fresh oil will help remove any sludge that may also contribute to any potential lack of oil circulation. Use the sound as a guide for future oil changes and if this does not clear up or gets any worse, this could be something to be concerned about and should be looked at by a mechanic.