Q: Check Engine Light and Thermo Light are on - 2009 Dodge Caliber

AS I WAS DRIVING I LOST SPEED QUICK THE THERMO LIGHT AND ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON HAD TO PULL OVER A WAIT ABOUT 2HR BEGIN TO DRIVE VERY SLOW NOT DEPENDABLE

Hi there. From the description you have provided, your vehicle’s losing speed and Thermo Light and Check Engine Light coming on are probably all related. It could be that the thermostat is stuck closed, not allowing the coolant/antifreeze to circulate through the cooling system. It could be that the catalytic converter came apart and restricted the exhaust, not allowing the hot exhaust gases to leave the engine.

It could be that the PCM (powertrain control module) recognized the engine’s overheating and put the vehicle into limp mode. That the Check Engine Light is on could help diagnose the fault. Driving the vehicle with the engine’s overheating could result in catastrophic and expensive repairs. I recommend having your vehicle’s overheating be inspected and diagnosed by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.