Q: Battery Light is on - 2007 Jeep Wrangler

asked by on October 23, 2016

Was driving and the battery light came on then all the lights on the dash started flickering and then I lost power now after putting the key back in the ignition nothing cranks up totally dead

Hello. The symptoms you describe (an illuminated battery light, along with flickering lights and stalling) are commonly caused by an issue with the alternator. The alternator is the component that generates power for the vehicle’s various electrical systems, and can cause all sorts of malfunctions if it goes bad.

If the alternator is not generating enough current or voltage to meet the vehicle’s needs, the computer will set off the battery light to warn the driver of an issue. If this is the case, continuing to drive the vehicle will eventually lead to it stalling and a dead battery, as the vehicle is running primarily off battery power and not being charged by the alternator, which will eventually run out and cause the vehicle to shut off. I would start by charging and testing the battery to see if the vehicle will start, and then testing the alternator/charging system to see if anything needs to be serviced or replaced.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location and perform an inspection to determine why the car won’t start and why the Battery Light is on.