Q: VW POLO starting problems

asked by on October 10, 2016

Hi there! I have a VW Polo the problem I am having is starting it wether it be day or night when the car has been parked up, or when the engine has cooled right down after. a long trip. The problem continues. Could you please give me advice how this can be fixed. Thank-you😊

Hi there. Your symptoms suggest 2 possible scenarios: additional clarification in a subsequent question would be helpful. If the car won’t turn over, that could be a failed battery, ignition switch, starter solenoid, or starter.

If the engine turns over, but it takes longer than it should to catch (and runs fine afterward), that is likely a fuel pressure issue while parked. The fuel system should maintain some pressure in the lines to assist with a fast startup. The fuel pressure regulator and/or fuel pump check valve both contribute to this. If one or both fail, fuel pressure on the fuel rail goes to zero, and it takes the fuel pump longer (while cranking) to generate enough pressure for the injectors to work properly. To have this taken care of, I recommend having a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose and repair the starting issue.