Q: Truck overheating and clanking. What do I need to do to fix this?

I have a 1998 Chevy S10 Ls with over 164,000 miles on it. I was driving to work and noticed the temperature gauge was going up. As I was trying to get off the road it started making a clanking sound and the pedal pressure vanished. Since owning the vehicle I've had to refill the antifreeze three times.

The clanking sound you heard was most likely caused by the engine overheating to the point where it would no longer run. Once the engine gets so hot the fuel ignites in the engine before it’s supposed to and can cause damage to the engine. I would recommend you get advice from a certified mechanic to inspect your engine for overheating and make sure nothing is mechanically wrong with the engine. If the engine checks out ok he will then look for the reason why you are losing coolant so you don’t have this problem again.