Q: Oil on top of engine and car won't start

My car was driving perfect today. Yet when I've gone to start the car up later today it wouldn't start when I've looked under the bonnet there was oil over the engine.

A sudden oil leak could be due to a head gasket failure, crack in the engine block or cylinder head, a plugged PCV system (causing oil to blow out through seals) or similar types of failures. Once the leak point is identified, one would be able to speculate as to if and how such a leak might cause the no start condition. Ordinarily, even if there is an oil leak or low oil level, an engine will still, "run". Depending on exactly where the leak is, it’s possible for instance for the spark plugs to be coated in oil, thus preventing ignition. It just depends on exactly where the leak is and what the particulars are. The oil system can easily be pressurized without running the engine in order to find a leak of this type. I would recommend that you first request a leak diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Oil on top of engine and car won't start