Q: not starting

asked by on July 19, 2016

hi my name is kevin and i have a 1982 ford f 150. and i just replaced the fuel filter housing gasket. after replacing that the truck started for a little bit then immediately shut off. before i fixed the fuel filter it was leaking and now that i put this new piece on it wont start. so then i thought it might be the fuel lines but im not sure.

The first thing to check is to see if you have fuel pressure at the fuel injector fuel rail. Sometimes the fuel filter housing will block fuel from coming from the fuel tank and blocks the fuel from getting through the filter housing. You may need to replace the filter housing or try switching from one tank to the other when the engine is running or switch and crank the engine and switch back to see if it will allow fuel to get through it. The problem could also be unrelated to the fuel pressure, and may be a bad starter, alternator, or battery. If you would like to have this checked, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s starting issue and let you know what needs to be done.