Q: How to fix or replace damaged vapor hose

asked by on May 31, 2016

A squirral chewed one of the fuel vapor hoses. The hose is thin plastic. The hose has an opening an inch away from quick-disconnect. CEL is on saying checking fuel cap. I tightened/replaced fuel cap, but CEL is still on. Is CEL caused by the damaged vapor hose? The other end of the hose is connected to the tank on the upperside. The service manual does not show how to disconnect the hose from the tank. Can the hose be fixed using some kind of tape or sealer? If I have to drop the tank to replace the hose, what is the part to buy?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

I would recommend going to the dealer to get a parts diagram to pinpoint the hose that is damaged. There is more than one hose on the fuel tank for the vapor recovery system and getting the correct one can only be done by identifying it in a parts diagram or getting a part number off the hose.

I would recommend having a qualified mechanic begin with an inspection of your Check Engine Light issue and recommend the best path to repair.