Q: Weird helicopter noise while braking - 2012 Toyota Corolla

asked by on September 03, 2016

Hi I have a Toyota corolla 2012 when I'm driving about 60 to 80 miles and I start hitting the brakes to slow down the steering wheel start checking pretty bad and makes a kind of helicopter noise. Today I lift the car and I can hear a weird noise coming from the shaft and kind inside of the transmission I'm wondering what can possibly be.

Brake Rotor/Disc Replacement $240.64 - $1093.41 Get a Quote

Hello. Based on the symptoms you are experiencing, I would first recommend having your vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic to determine if your brakes and suspension components are performing properly.

If your steering wheel is shaking when you slow down from highway speeds, one of two things is possible. Either you have warped brake rotors or one or more of your suspension components has free play.

When the rotors are warped they have low spots and high spots instead of being perfectly smooth all the way around. These low spots and high spots cause the brakes to vibrate when they are applied.

This vibration can easily transfer up to the steering wheel. If any of your suspension components have free play, it will be more noticeable during braking because something that was moving is now attempting to be slowed down.

In the process of slowing down your vehicle, all of that energy will then transfer to the weakest place that it can. In this case, it would be where ever the loose suspension component is located. Once a brakes and suspension inspection has been completed you will have a much better idea as to what is causing the issue you are having and can follow through with the right repairs.