Q: Motor mounts keep breaking

Last year, I was noticing a lot of noise when I stopped at a red light. The noise stopped when I put the car in neutral if we were idling. After a visit to the mechanic, I found out it was the motor mounts and had all four replaced. The noises stopped.

It's a year later, and a couple weeks ago, I started getting lots of vibration and noise when I was idling. Again, it goes away when it's in neutral. After researching this time, I found out the engine was going forward a few inches, and one of the belts at the corner was actually rubbing on the hood. The motor mounts have broken again. What could make my motor mounts break twice in one year?

Hello. If the first engine mounts that you had replaced a year ago were the original engine mounts, they could have failed as a result of age and wear. Sometimes, aftermarket engine mounts are defective before they are installed, so using aftermarket engine mounts are always a risk.

It is also possible that the engine mounts that were installed a year ago were not installed correctly. I would suggest that when replacing the engine mounts this time, you use Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) engine mounts. Have your engine mounts replaced by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Motor mounts keep breaking