Q: Camshaft position sensor error code P0343

I recently purchased this used 2000 BMW 540i., The previous owner claims that service engine light is always on due to error code P0343. 'Camshaft position sensor'. The car runs fairly well. I changed both sensors and the error code persists. The car runs the same, with the new ones or the old ones, same error code. There is no engine modifications. Any idea what is going on?

A: Hello. The P0343 code indicates there is no...

Hello. The P0343 code indicates there is no signal from the passenger side cam position sensor (Bank 1 actually). Given you have changed the sensor, this would suggest a wiring or connector issue. Your mileage would also make me anxious about timing chain guides, tensioner and timing chain - a chronic maintenance item on BMW V8s with this sort of mileage. While the timing chain service is a bit expensive, the alternative is even more so. I recommend having a certified technician from YourMechanic to thoroughly inspect the Check Engine Light and proceed with the appropriate repair.