Installed new battery but car won't start - 2005 Honda Ci...

Q: Installed new battery but car won't start - 2005 Honda Civic

asked by on October 07, 2016

Had an old battery that needed to be boosted every 2 days if the car was unused.

Bought a new battery and installed it, but the car still won't start.

When I turn the ignition, the car tries to start and makes a bit of a screeching noise and shakes a lot but does not start. There is no "click click click" noise as the one made by the starter when trying to start from an empty battery. The noise is explosive with jerking motion.

Your symptoms could be caused by several components. At first, it sounds like the starter is cranking, but isn’t powerful enough to turn over the engine. This could be due to a bad electrical connection or faulty starter. Replacing the starter is the only option at that point. Now if the engine is turning over, and still unable to start, you have an issue with fuel, air, or spark delivery. Turn the key to accessory and listen for the faint sound of your fuel pump priming. It will sound like a very quiet winding or whirling. That will let you know if the fuel pump is powered and trying to work. You should also check the spark plug and wires. There are specific tools you can use to test them. However, if your spark plugs have over 50,000 miles, they may need to be replaced anyway. If you still need help with a diagnosis, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the no-start and pinpoint the correct repair.