Q: Grinding and vibration after brake work done

asked by on July 27, 2016

My car has a mileage close to 95,000 miles. It has some issues with the brakes. After I had brake pads and front rotors replaced, I've been feeling some vibrations and can hear grinding. These issues occur mainly after more than half an hour of driving. Most commonly it happens in the stop and go traffic with a lot of braking. However, the grinding and vibrations are noticeable only at lower speeds. The vibration can be felt in the steering wheel as well as the seats. I took it to the same place where they redone the job but it didn't solve the problems. What could be wrong?

Hello. Thank you for writing in about your 2009 Toyota Venza. From what you are describing, I would conclude that the problem you are hearing is a result of bad rotors or brake pads. Since you just had new rotors and brake pads installed, it is possible that the rotors and brake pads that you installed are defective. Some brake pads and rotors are better than others, so depending on the kind you had installed, this could be the problem as well. It is also possible that the brake hardware is faulty. An important factor would be just how long it was from the time you had the brakes and rotors replaced to when you began experiencing the symptoms you describe. A good idea would be to have a certified technician, like the one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection of your brake pads and front rotors in order to provide a proper diagnosis and make the necessary repair.