Q: Screeching when I start the car cold. But the sound goes away.

It is a loud screeching coming from the right side of the car, only when I start the vehicle on cold mornings. The sound does go a way after the motor is warm. there are no extra vibrations to the car, but I do smell a faint smell like something is burning.

A: When you have a squealing noise on start up...

When you have a squealing noise on start up, that goes away after a few minutes, is normally a belt issue. This is typically a sign that the belt is slipping enough that it makes the noise until everything gets to moving and the belt will quit slipping. Keep in mind that there are other possible causes, but this is the most likely. You may need to also take a look at the pulleys to be sure they are not "glazed", which can also cause a belt to slip, and be sure to check the belt tensioner to be sure that it isn’t beginning to fail. If the tensioner gets to a point that it can’t keep enough pressure on the belt, it will also cause a squeal. If this is something you feel you need a hand to identify and/or repair, consult a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.