Q: The CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message came on while I was driving down the highway and had not fueled in several days.

asked by on February 02, 2017

CHECK FUEL FILL INLET came on while I was driving down the highway (in heavy rain) and had not fueled in several days. I followed recommended procedure and the light stayed off for one complete drive cycle (start - drive - stop (ignition off)). Light came back on the next time the car was started and repeating the procedure has not cleared it. Is this something that I should be worried about? Is it something that can be easily / inexpensively handled by a qualified technician?

Try removing the gas cap and putting it back on. While the gas cap is off, check the seal on the cap and see if there is any cracks or damage to the seal. If the seal is good and the gas cap is replaced with a new cap and the message is still coming on, then check the fuel filler neck for any fuel leaks. In moisture conditions, the fuel lines and rubber hoses can expand and collapse causing fuel vapors to leak out. If you need further assistance with your fuel filler neck issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.