Q: Fuel pump will only run for a few seconds and the car dies.

car will only run for a minute. Fuel pump will only run for a few seconds.

Hi there. When the fuel pump will only run for a few seconds, it’s typically caused by an electrical short or failure with the fuel pump relay. This situation can also occur if there is an obstruction of debris in the pickup screen of the fuel pump; which is rather common for vehicles more than 15 years old. However, it can also indicate a failing fuel pump. The best way to know for certain is to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete an onsite inspection to determine what repairs are needed.

3. Fuel pump will only run for a few seconds and the car dies.