Q: Ford Ka clutch feels high - just need some advice! 2006 Ford Ka

Hi, My girlfriend recently got her first car, a 2006 Ford Ka with 93000 miles, her parents bought it her for her 21st birthday. She isn't actually driving it yet until she passes her test which should be soon. We live together and money is tight so my concern is that something may need to be done to the car to repair it. I noticed when moving the car onto the drive (and have played with it a few times since) that the clutch feels quite high up... it's actually near to the top that it 'bites' and the car starts to move. I'm used to a much lower sporty clutch on my car but I'm still concerned that it may need a replacement clutch which will cost a lot.

Is there any way to tell without paying a lot of money for someone to look at it? Or is the Ka clutch adjustable? Just need some advice as worried about costs :( Thanks Ryan

Hello - the behavior you describe suggest that the clutch disc is fairly worn. Since it takes less clutch pedal motion to "unclamp" the disk indicates the there is less clutch disc thickness, less pressure place movement and less clutch throwout bearing movement required to release the clutch disc. I recommend a clutch inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.