Q: EPS issue on 2002 Honda S2000

Looking into buying a Honda S2000 / 6 Manual / 2002 Make, they have disconnected the Electronic Power Steering because of the issue of the system comes in and out of working. Any thoughts of fixes? I have heard several things to look in to such as...EPS Module, Power Steering Gear, Wiring of Torque Sensor, Torque Sensor, Memorizing Torque Sensor Position, Steering Rack, Etc, Etc...

Any thoughts...???

EPS systems will communicate with a professional scan tool. Inasmuch as all of the "faults" you refer to are possible, the fastest way to resolve this is to simply download the trouble codes that have set and/or use a real time scan tool to look at data PIDs (parameter IDs) that are output for the EPS system. For instance, steering motor torque should be the same when steering in either direction. Honda’s EPS control unit reports two self-diagnostic routines, one for “initial diagnosis” and one for “steering diagnosis.” The initial diagnosis occurs when the engine is first started. The EPS warning light illuminates as the control unit checks its internal circuits, then the light turns off if no problems are detected. In the steering diagnosis, the control unit monitors the system in real time. The bottom line is troubleshooting EPS fault codes relies on first downloading and analyzing the code(s) with a scan tool, then clear all codes and see if they return. However, if there are powertrain codes in the PCM, in addition to steering system codes, the powertrain codes must be resolved first. To obtain a conclusive diagnostic, the recommended service is a steering system inspection - EPS. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you, and all on a mobile basis right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. EPS issue on 2002 Honda S2000