Q: Engine light staying on

asked by on February 06, 2016

My van will not start when I crank it. In addition, the Engine light is still on.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The Check Engine Light should stay illuminated until the vehicle is running. So, your light being on while cranking is normal. However, if the light was on before when the engine was running, diagnostic trouble codes may be stored and can the Check Engine Light can be inspected by a trained mechanic. These codes serve as a starting place for the diagnostic procedure. A vehicle that cranks normal but doesn’t start indicates a lack of spark and/or fuel. This could be caused by anything from a failed crank sensor to a faulty fuel pump. A trained technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your vehicle’s starting issue.