Q: Do i need to replace the receiver drier and/or the expansion valve when replacing the condenser assembly?

asked by on June 09, 2017

My air-conditioning is blowing hot air. I took it to a local shop and they diagnosed a leak in the condenser. Said I need to replace the condenser assembly plus the accumulator/receiver drier and the expansion valve. My question is, can I just have the condenser assembly replaced or do I need to have those two other parts replaced as well?
I plan to schedule with YourMechanic and it's only letting me choose the condenser replacement so if I need to have either of the other two parts replaced, I'm not sure how to add those to the online estimate. Thanks a lot! Denise

Replacing the system drier is absolutely essential. If the system has been open to the atmosphere (due to the leak in the condenser), the desiccant in the drier has been fully saturated with moisture. As far as the expansion valve, replacement is not normally implicated in a leak repair, in your case a leak in the condenser. To justify replacing the expansion valve, there would have to have been a diagnostic performed which proved a fault. If no diagnostic was performed, and there is no evidence of a fault, then it is pointless to replace the valve. But, again, drier replacement is absolutely essential. To add the drier to your order, you can simply add a note to the mechanic in your order and/or add it as a service (you will see a link that you can click on to "add services" or write in specific services). If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.