Q: Do I need new brakes or rotors or both?

My car recently started making a loud grinding and squealing noise when I brake now the pedal sometimes goes to the floor when I press it and I just noticed the anti lock brake is on

A: Hi there. Without knowing the specifics abo...

Hi there. Without knowing the specifics about your vehicle, such as make, model, year, or being onsite to physically complete a brake inspection, it is very difficult to tell you how much work will be required. However, if your brakes are making a grinding noise, this is due to metal on metal contact from your brake pad wear indicator and the brake rotor. When this occurs, it digs a groove in your rotor and needs to be resurfaced if there is enough depth on the rotors.

Otherwise, the brake rotors and brake pads will need to be replaced together. The best option for you is to contact one of our local experts to inspect the brakes noise in person to let you know exactly how much work will be required to fix the brake problem.