Q: Won't start after fueling - 2008 Kia Rio5

I’m having issues with my car starting after getting gas. I just replaced the fuel pump because every time I got gas and went to start my car it wouldn’t start. I had to buy starter fluid to get my car to start. And before that I had to pump the gas pedal for it to start. But just today when I was driving it suddenly quit running in the middle of traffic. It was dead in the road. It would crank when I turned the key but it wouldn’t start. Do you know what’s causing all of this? Can it be fixed?

Check for spark at the plugs when this occurs. If there is no spark, check for a bad crankshaft position sensor (heat failure), and also for a failed connection between your ignition key, which is part of the electronic path to the ignition circuit, and the engine computer. If the "security" code in your key is not recognized by the computer for any reason (bad key, bad wireless connection, etc.), there will be no ignition pulse to the spark plugs. (The "bad key" scenario is fairly common across this year Kia.) A professional mechanic like YourMechanic can help confirm the diagnosis and replace the failing parts including the crankshaft position sensor.