Q: Car will not shift out of park

My gear shift lever will not shift out of park. I suspect it is a fuse or the brake light switch.

Hi, it could be a failed brake light switch. If you have a faulty brake light switch, the shifter will not move. Locate the brake light switch by the brake pedal and check to see if the rubber bumper is in one piece. If it is not, then it needs to be replaced. Once it is replaced, have someone stand behind the vehicle at a safe distance. They will be able to inform you if your lights are functioning properly. If you need further assistance, have a certified mechanic diagnose why your vehicle is unable to shift your car out of park, and determine what need to be replaced.

3. Car will not shift out of park