Q: My car starts and then dies several times before it will stay running, but only when it's cold

When I go to start my Toyota it will start then dies does this several times then will stay running. Changed the fuel filter and mass flow sensor also took it to the shop and they couldn't find anything wrong.

Hi there. One of the most overlooked issues that can cause hard starting when it’s cold is a malfunctioning engine coolant temperature sensor. If the coolant level is low, the coolant temperature sensor can send false information to the computer, causing a hard start or a cold start poor running condition as you’re describing above. The best way to diagnose this is to connect a digital scanner to the sensor and manually compare the temperature on the sensor to the temperature on the meter. If you don’t have access to this, contact a mobile technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to come and complete an inspection and diagnose why your car is hard to start in cold weather.

3. My car starts and then dies several times before it will stay running, but only when it's cold