Q: Car won't reverse but drives fine. Will pop in reverse around 3000 rpms.

When I throw the car into reverse on a flat road it will gradually back up, but when I give it gas it won't respond until it gets up to 3000 rpm and then it will pop back. When trying to reverse on an inclined road it will gradually move forward unless I rev it to around 3500 rpm and it will pop back. I can drive it normally, but not reverse without the previously mentioned problem. This car has been bought used and it hasn't had an problems with the transmission up until today.

Your problem is probably due to wear in the transmission. The mileage is about right. The transmission operates using hydraulic pressure generated by an internal pump. As the fluid pump and other components wear, the clearances inside them increase and the fluid pressure drops, particularly at idle speed. When you speed up the engine, the fluid pressure gets high enough for the transmission to operate in reverse. You may be able to stretch the life a bit by changing the fluid but it’s likely that you’re eventually going to have to replace the transmission. But before you do anything drastic, contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your transmission and make a recommendation.

3. Car won't reverse but drives fine. Will pop in reverse around 3000 rpms.