Q: Dark need tail lights an dash lights to work to get home.

asked by on November 06, 2016

Can I hot wire tailights an dashlights

Rear lights are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Hot wiring lights can be dangerous and could cause other problems. If you need the lights to work and all they are is just the dash and tail lights so you can get home, you could get a toggle switch and hook it up to the fuse box with a key on only power point and hook it up to the main power wire to the lights.

You will have to cut the wire and hook up the toggle switch. The switch is for the event that you have to turn off the lights like a regular light switch. Then, when you get home, you will need to remove the toggle switch and connect the wires back together.

Then you will need to check the fuse box for any burnt fuses for the tail lights. On Fords, it is common for the body control module to fail causing the taillights and the dash lights to stop working.

If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, that can assist you with your taillight issue.