Q: My 2016 Buick Encore is unpredictable. This morning, the check engine light and stability tracking light both lit. The engine wa

asked by on February 02, 2018

2016 Buick Encore - check engine light and stability tracker light both lit this morning. The engine was sputtering and losing power...it took me a couple of minutes to change lanes to exit. After a couple of minutes the lights both went off and the car drove fine. It has done this in the past, on the highway (usually) the car will not leave 1st gear and then suddenly it will thrust forward into gear...like it takes a deep breath and releases...scary. The dealer claims they cannot find a problem.

If the check engine light has illuminated, that means that trouble codes have been stored and a mechanic can download and evaluate them. Those trouble codes are undoubtedly linked to the problem you are having. Although some trouble codes can refer to quite a few individual vehicle components, which of course is laborious to track down and separately test, to resolve an issue like this, that is exactly what has to be done. It may be that the dealer just has not bothered to perform a thorough diagnostic. To have the proper diagnostic performed in your circumstances, the recommended service is a Check Engine Light diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will investigate and resolve the issue. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.