Q: Key turns in ignition but engine doesn't turn over

I started my car fine, drove to the store and as I got out of the car it made the dinging noise like when the door is open but the key is still in the ignition. But the key was not in the ignition. I put the key near, not in, the ignition and the dinging stopped. After shopping, I went back to my car and I tried to start it but the key goes all the way without any engine turnover, and no click, it just feels kind of doughy the whole way. The first time I tried to start it all the dashboard lights came on, but now they don't. The brake also feels hard to push down. I can turn the key backward and it clicks and works fine. It also can unlock and lock the doors with the buttons on the key fob.

Hello there, many different faults can cause your car to not start when the key is turned. In this case the most likely faults would be a ignition switch, key cylinder, worn key, key transponder failure, or a wiring harness fault. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your car not starting and make any repairs required to resolve it.