Q: How do I check the oil?

How do I check the oil?

Keeping an eye on vital fluids is part of being a responsible car owner. One of the most important (and most easily checked) fluids is engine oil. To check it, just follow these simple steps:

1. Turn off the engine and wait a few minutes before checking the oil.

2. Open the hood.

3. Locate the engine oil dipstick. You’ll find it on top of the engine near the oil filler cap. It has an orange handle.

4. Pull the dipstick out of the tube.

5. Wipe oil off the stick (you can use a paper towel, a grease rag, or a cloth).

6. Reinsert the dipstick into the tube.

7. Pull the dipstick back out and check the end to determine the level of engine oil. It should be between the upper and lower marks (holes).

8. If the oil is at the lower mark or below it, you’ll need to add a quart of engine oil.

3. How do I check the oil?