Q: Break problems

asked by on July 21, 2016

My boyfriend has his car and when he tried to press the breaks they don't work anymore he has to use the emergency break every time. And when he drives his breaks make A LOT of noise it's loud He has an Altima Nissan 1999 I think I don't quite know the mileage but I know it's good
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Brake System Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there:

Your boyfriend has a serious brake issue that should be repaired immediately. The loud noise is most likely coming from the brake pads grinding on the brake rotors. When he applies the parking brake, it’s only applying pressure to the rear brakes, which have not worn out completely yet. This is serious safety issue, and depending on where he lives, could be a traffic violation.

My suggestion is to let your boyfriend know that he should stop driving the vehicle immediately before he hurts himself or worse, someone else on the road. Have him contact a local ASE certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can come to your location to complete a full brake inspection and replace the parts that are worn out.