Car sounds like it is dragging something and engine revs ...

Q: Car sounds like it is dragging something and engine revs but not getting power when in drive

asked by on September 11, 2017

I just bought a 2002 audi allroad quattro, used, yesterday with 160,000 miles on it. My husband and i drove it to the store and back with no problems last night. Today after about 1 mile, going under 20mph, when my husband started to accelerate the car made a loud noise almost like a tire blew or we hit something, then it sounded like something was dragging under the car. We pulled over and everything looked fine, tires were good and nothing was dragging. He started to accelerate very slowly and the noise was still there. & it isnt getting any power when in drive. When pressing the gas pedal the engine revvs fine, but it doesnt move when in drive. He turned off the car and tried turning it back on but wouldnt start. We put it in neutral and pushed it out of the road. After a few moments it started up again. We made it home very slowly (less than a mile) and it made the dragging sound all the way. Also, The air suspension is out. I cant find anything on what this might be. Please help

If the engine presently runs and accelerates (in park or neutral), your description, particularly of the loud noise followed by lack of movement, makes me think something has broken within the transmission or drive train. Given the marked symptoms, the diagnostic should be straightforward. If you request a no movement in drive diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and explain your repair options. With regard to the non functioning air suspension system, the fault there can be diagnosed if you request an air suspension inspection/diagnostic. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.