Q: A strange rumble when vehicle is in idle

asked by on November 30, 2016

For a few months now I have noticed a weird shaking or rumbling coming from my vehicle. It doesn't appear to affect my performance, and it only occurs when the car is in idle, such as when I come to a stop at a red light. It immediately goes away when I push gas and go about driving and doesn't reappear until I once again come to a stop and idle. For the most part, the shaking seems to come from the front of the car, but I'm not too sure.

The shaking or rumbling suggests that you may have a bit of a rough idle problem. Depending on the severity of the rough idle, this may cause the car to shake or rumble substantially. A rough idle may be caused by many different things such as low fuel pressure, low voltage to the fuel injectors, dirty fuel injectors, a vacuum leak, a faulty Oxygen sensor or a dirty or failing idle air control valve. Any of these possibilities relate to fuel delivery issues that will disrupt the normally balanced air/fuel mixture that would otherwise allow the motor to run smoothly. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic cometo your location to diagnose your rough idle problem.