Q: Engine stalls when clutch is released, unable to push while in gear with clutch pedal depressed

asked by on September 25, 2017

Truck starts and runs fine, but will die when clutch pedal is released in neutral. Unable to push vehicle in gear while clutch pedal is depressed. Vehicle will roll if transfer case is in neutral, but otherwise unable to roll vehicle if transfer case is in any other position as well. Unable to move vehicle if transmission is in neutral without clutch depressed. Transmission is a 5sp. Low, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and OD and reverse of course.

Grinding sound from transmission Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

This may suggest the transmission synchros may be wearing out. Your transmission has small gear synchronizer rings that help to move the transmission in and out of the various gears. When these begin to wear out, you may notice it hard to shift in and out of gears or in some cases cause the transmission to pop out of gear. You may also occasionally hear a bit of a grinding sound when trying to shift from gear to gear. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr