Q: Are front and rear wheel cylinders the same?

I'm getting ready to rebuild drum breaks (front and rear) in my 1965 GMC 1000. I can not find any one who sells front wheel cylinders, but most stores carry rear wheel cylinders. Are front and rear wheel cylinders interchangeable?

Hi. The rear wheel cylinders should be interchangeable with the front wheel cylinders. The drum set in the rear should be exactly the same as the front. If you are unsure then remove a wheel cylinder from the front and match it up with one from the rear - they should be the same. We have certified technicians at YourMechanic that can help you with your wheel cylinders.