Q: Oil pressure sensor, crankshaft, camshaft, and car running funny

asked by on October 06, 2016

Oil pressure light flashed on and check engine light. Took car to shop, code read crankshaft, camshaft, and mad. Car is driving badly

Hi, thanks for writing in. My guess is that your vehicle has low oil pressure. The variable valve timing system is dependent on oil pressure for proper operation. Without it, the actuators will not function properly and a camshaft/crankshaft correlation code will be stored. There are several common reasons a vehicle may have low oil pressure. The first and most simple explanation is that the vehicle is low on oil. If the oil level and condition are OK, suspect a worn oil pump, clogged oil filter or worn lower end bearings. I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose and repair this issue before any further damage is done.