Q: Car won't start, possibly due to electronic steering wheel lock

This morning the battery in my car was died so I jump-started it and then drove it a short while. Then I turned it off, turned it on and drove back home where I parked it. Later, when I tried to restart it, the red electronic steering wheel lock indicator came on. I checked and the battery has plenty of juice, but my car will not even try to turn over. It will not even go into Neutral, so I can’t even have it towed to an auto repair shop. It is totally dead, sitting in my drive, because of the electronic steering lock. I’m so thankful that I was not out somewhere else. How can I get it started or into Neutral so I can have it towed?

A: Hello. I usually start by having the batter...

Hello. I usually start by having the battery load tested. Though the battery may seem fine, it may be failing internally. If the battery is fine, then the alternator will need to be checked. I am suspecting that the battery or battery cables are failing. I would do a voltage drop test on the battery cables to test them. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting issue.