Q: 2012 chevy cruze lt 1.4 valve cover vacuum leak. waiting on parts in the mail.

asked by on April 03, 2017

The pvc valve on the valve cover has a bad vacuum leak causing it to run horribly. I ordered a new valve cover but it wont be here for another week. I was wondering if i just sealed that valve from the outside if it would run better till the new valve cover comes in. I was considering putting a latex glove over it and some rubber bands or maybe clamp.

It is possible to temporarily seal air (vacuum leaks). Any method that best creates a seal can be used. In particular, RTV sealant which is flowable can be used to seal a non moving crack so long as the surface that you are applying the RTV to is oil and dirt free (otherwise the RTV wont bond). The only concern with such temporary (or even permanent) repairs is that you do not get any foreign matter in the engine through any crack that you are trying to seal. If you want the PCV valve and/or the valve cover replaced you can request PCV/valve cover replacement service and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr