Q: Can you car still run if the ac compressor belt breaks

asked by on November 29, 2016

Can a car run if an ac compressor belt breaks

Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement $95.44 - $301.27 Get a Quote

Hello. The car will not successfully run without a serpentine belt. The car may continue to run for a moment if the ac compressor belt breaks, but not for long. The belt also powers the alternator, which supplies engine with continuous power. Once this fails its only a matter of time until the battery dies and you stall. Check the belts for wear by looking for cracking or fraying. The pulleys can also become loose and cause issues. Typically the belts are the relatively cheap and easy to replace. It involves loosening the tensioner and removing the old belt. Replace the belt and retighten. Again, your car may continue to run for a few moments, but it will stall and die without a serpentine belt.