Q: Car occasionally won't start. Is it the starter?

Occasionally, my car won't start. There is no cranking or other noises. Also, all lights and radio come on when I turn the key. My car runs after it's jumped. I have a new battery and the car has been tested in that respect. A mechanic today said it was the starter. However, I'm not sure. What do you think? Parts and labor are expensive for my car. Thank you.

Connie cmark@midco.net

A: Hello. If the alternator is working and the...

Hello. If the alternator is working and the battery is new, as you say, then the mechanic may be right. The starter itself may not be dead so much as it would be that the solenoid is sticking. When that happens there is no click, no nothing one moment, then the next time, it may start as though there was nothing wrong. Since the solenoid switch comes with the starter, it is common practice to replace starter and solenoid together. They can be changed separately, but you don’t really save any money by doing that. If you would like to have this inspected by another technician, or if you would like to move forward with the starter replacement, then consider YourMechanic, as our technicians can perform services at the site of your car.

Recommended services
Get a Quote