Q: Hydraulic problem with engine lifters knocking.

asked by on December 26, 2016

Engine lifters knocking. Difficult to Steer. Transmission seems to be slipping but Could be differential cause when car finally engages it makes a clunking noise that feels like its right under my feet. I know car does have almost 600k miles on it but except for the steering difficulty which I think had other issues due to a delayed much needed tie rod/ball joint replacement. Passenger side has been done but now driver side lower ball needs so bad u can actually see wheel leaning. But the lifter tranny and differential problems just started all within about a month of each other. And just yesterday it now has problems with heat. Correct me if I'm wrong but all those things use hydraulic systems right. Oh and of course it has oil and Trans and power steering fluid and antifreeze in it just in case u r wondering
For husbands car - 2004 Lincoln town car not the g35 in my profile My car has 600000 miles.

Hi there. If the lifters are indeed tapping, then they are probably sticking. Try putting one quart of transmission fluid in the engine and run the engine for 15 minutes at 3,000 rpm. This will thin out the original oil and make it clean up the sticking lifters. Then drain the oil and replace the filter with a new filter and new oil. Start the engine and see if the noise has went away. If the noise is still there, then the lifters will need to be replaced. As for the clunking sound, that is not the transmission nor the differential, but rather the front universal joint that is making the noise. With the brakes applied and and parking brake on, put the transmission in reverse and then in drive and back to reverse. Do this step about 3 to 4 times and see if the noise is occurring in both directions. If it is, then the universal joint bearings are burned up and needs replaced. I recommend replacing all of the universal joints on the drive shaft for best performance. If you need further assistance with your engine making a noise and the clunking noise under the vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.