Q: The car suddenly couldn't be started

I was driving my car as usual. I parked it for a while and when I tried to start it up again, it wouldn't. Everything seemed to be working including key fobs, lights, radio, wipers but when the ignition is started, the car wouldn't turn on at all. The dashboard showed the check engine light illuminated. I tried jump-starting the car but it didn't help. I had the starter and battery tested along with the fuses and relays. Everything checks out fine. There are no error codes either. I did some testing of the anti-theft system, which doesn't work. What should I do next? Thank you in advance.

Hello. If the engine will not crank at all and the starter and battery are fine then I start by checking to see if the starter relay is getting power. If it is but is not sending power to the starter then it may be bad. If it is not then either the ignition switch is not working properly or the body control module is not sending the start signal. I usually start by checking the body control module with a scan tool to see if it is getting the on signal from the ignition switch. If it is then the module or wiring is bad. If not then the ignition switch needs to be tested. The transmission position sensor can also cause this as the vehicle needs to show it is in park or neutral to start. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this.