Q: There's a whining noise coming from the engine at idle and it goes away when you pull the oil dipstick out

asked by on February 08, 2017

i noticed a few hours ago when my car was idling it had a whining squeaking noise so with the car running i opened the hood to locate where the noise was coming from and checked the oil. As soon as i pulled the oil dip stick i herd a puff of air and the noise went away, a few seconds after putting the dipstick back the squeaking starts again. I tried this a few times with the same results.

If you are getting too high of suction in the crankcase what is happening is the engine is sucking in air through the crankcase ventilation hose in the air filter housing most likely due to an air filter that is dirty and needs to be replaced. Check the air filter and replace it if it is dirty.