Q: Steering Issues - 2001 Ford Mustang

When i try to turn the steering wheel, it is hard to turn and when i do turn it, it makes a loud squeak/grind sound.

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. The symptoms ...

Hello, thanks for writing in. The symptoms described are commonly caused by issues with the power steering system. It may be possible that the power steering fluid has run low, or an issue has occurred with the power steering pump. The power steering system is designed to reduce steering wheel effort by providing hydraulic powered assistance. If there is an issue with the system it may result in a wheel that is difficult to turn, as well as possible noises from the power steering pump.

The first thing I would do is check the vehicle’s power steering fluid to make sure that it is not low, as low fluid can cause both of the symptoms you are experiencing. If the fluid is okay, then I would recommend having a professional technician such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the power steering system.