Q: my serpintine belt snaped, i noticed the power steering pulley was bent i re placed it but am not sure if the pulley should spin

asked by on November 18, 2016

my power steering lines were cut awhile ago so iv been driving without it.....one of my hoses was rubbing against the serpintine belt and shredded it.... a friend and i replaced it and a week later it just snapped in half...well while inspecting it i noticed the power steering pully was not at a right angle(askew)(bent)....i bought a new one and put it on but im scared to put belt on because im not sure if the pully is supposed to be locked in position(which it is) or should it be able to spin freely.....im not a mechanic but have to do it myself cuz of finances....thank you for any advice you can give me

If there is no drive belt on the pulley that is on the power steering pump, you should be able to turn the power steering pump pulley freely and easily by hand. If the pulley (shaft) does not turn, that means that something within the power steering pump has broken or seized. With regard to your budget, you should give YourMechanic a chance to repair it for you because it is much less costly than going to a shop and thus it is possible to resolve it for you. If you have a broken pump, you will need a rebuilt pump installed and it sounds like you will need one or two power steering hoses. The system will have to be checked though to make sure that no metal debris got into the steering gear on account of the pump failure. It is possible to install an inline filter to prevent circulation of debris but the system should be inspected to see if there is any metal debris or contamination right now. If there is, that can cause leaks and further problems. Feel free to schedule an Inspection with YourMechanic.