Q: Cost of replacing a engine on a 2009 GTI volkswagen?

My son's engine needs to be replaced. I guess the oil light didn't come on and mileage wasn't enough for an oil change so when the engine wouldn't turn over, he had it towed to a mechanic/garage. They said with labor it would cost about $4700 to replace. Does this sound reasonable. Labor was quoted about $1600. Is this reasonable or is the mechanic taking advantage of him? He lives in the Manchester, NH area.

That is not an unreasonable price for a L4-2.0 L turbo engine. It would be much more elsewhere. Be sure the turbo charger is thoroughly inspected. If the engine failed due to an oil/lubrication issue, it would not be surprising to find the turbo charger is damaged as well. The turbo charger shares its oil source with the engine.

3. Cost of replacing a engine on a 2009 GTI volkswagen?