Q: What is the driver’s seat position sensor and what does it do?

What is the driver’s seat position sensor and what does it do?

Your car is equipped with front dual-stage air bags for better safety during impacts. However, if you’re sitting too close to the steering wheel, an air bag inflating can actually cause more injury than if it hadn’t been activated in the first place. To help prevent this from happening, your Fusion has a Driver’s Seat Position sensor. It detects how close to the steering wheel (and the air bag in the steering wheel) the front seat is positioned. Based on this information, the car’s computer determines whether to activate the air bag or not.

Tip

In severe impacts, the air bag will be deployed no matter what the sensor says about the seat position.

3. What is the driver’s seat position sensor and what does it do?