Q: Car stutters when you start it

asked by on May 12, 2016

My car has about 21,000 miles. My wife mentioned that the car was acting strange, so I went and looked at it and it when you start it, it stutters. The lights dim out (like a power surge). The engine does turn over, and no dummy lights go off. I am going to have the battery checked, but could this be the starter or the alternator?

It does sound like the battery is due for replacement. Slow cranking and dimming lights are a telltale sign. I highly doubt it is the starter or the alternator, especially since your vehicle has such low mileage. However, a trained professional can test your entire starting/charging system to provide you with peace of mind.