Q: Car stutters when you start it

asked by on May 12, 2016

My car has about 21,000 miles. My wife mentioned that the car was acting strange, so I went and looked at it and it when you start it, it stutters. The lights dim out (like a power surge). The engine does turn over, and no dummy lights go off. I am going to have the battery checked, but could this be the starter or the alternator?

Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Service Battery/cables $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

It does sound like the battery is due for replacement. Slow cranking and dimming lights are a telltale sign. I highly doubt it is the starter or the alternator, especially since your vehicle has such low mileage. However, a trained professional can test your entire starting/charging system to provide you with peace of mind.